This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It takes me literally 5 minutes to throw together. It is inexpensive, quick, nutritious and so delicious. Anyone who tastes it, asks for the recipe – you know that’s a keeper!I use an immersion blender which cuts prep and clean up time. In fact, I strongly recommend an immersion blender in every kitchen for super quick soup blending.
BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 1 Tsp. veg. oil
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp – 1Tbsp. adobo sauce from the chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (save unused for your next batch!)
- 3 – (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2-1 fresh lime, squeezed
- 1-2 Tbsp Pickled jalapeno juice and sliced or diced jalapeno, as per your preference
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan over med heat. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute. Stir in water, adobo sauce, beans, and salsa. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute.
- Use immersion blender directly in soup pot OR Place 3 cups of black bean mixture in blender, process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Stir in lime juice, simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro.
Garnish: sour cream or plain yogurt, shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, splash of Cholula, avocado, a few tortillas dipped directly into the soup .
Yields 4 servings (1 1/4c. serving size)
Others you may like
Delicious and nutritious: Contain more potassium than bananas, foods high in potassium can help reduce your risk of stroke and lowers blood pressure High in healthy fats, monounsaturated fat helps to keep your heart healthy Good source of essential vitamins and minerals, including fiber, vitamin K, B5, B6, C, and folate Help you feel…
The American Heart Association Go Red for Women campaign has a mission to promote healthier lives, decreasing risk factors of cardiovascular disease and stroke, the number one killer of women. We were able to take part in the Go Red for Women event with 300 attendees here in Ames, Iowa. We partnered with…
FREE HEALTH QUIZ
Is a nutrition deficiency hampering your health?
The first step in addressing health issues is to understand what your symptoms are telling you. This quick quiz will help begin to shed light on the true root of your challenges.