This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It takes me literally 5 minutes to throw together. It is inexpensive, quick, nutritious and so delicious. Anyone who tastes it, asks for the recipe – you know that’s a keeper!I use an immersion blender which cuts prep and clean up time. In fact, I strongly recommend an immersion blender in every kitchen for super quick soup blending.
BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 1 Tsp. veg. oil
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp – 1Tbsp. adobo sauce from the chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (save unused for your next batch!)
- 3 – (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2-1 fresh lime, squeezed
- 1-2 Tbsp Pickled jalapeno juice and sliced or diced jalapeno, as per your preference
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan over med heat. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute. Stir in water, adobo sauce, beans, and salsa. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute.
- Use immersion blender directly in soup pot OR Place 3 cups of black bean mixture in blender, process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Stir in lime juice, simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro.
Garnish: sour cream or plain yogurt, shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese, splash of Cholula, avocado, a few tortillas dipped directly into the soup .
Yields 4 servings (1 1/4c. serving size)
Others you may like
Here is a common question I hear: I’m having trouble distinguishing between wanting to work out because I like to, and feeling like I have to work out because of what I’ve eaten. The concept that we have had drilled into our head is to work out for the purpose of burning calories. Yet, if…
I don’t know about you but I seriously dislike the idea of “exercising”… in the traditional sense, that is, like going to the gym and hitting the machines, hard core! Sometimes the gym feels tormenting and every minute feels like an hour. There are many forms of moving that are healthy! Some people do…
FREE HEALTH QUIZ
Is a nutrition deficiency hampering your health?
The first step in addressing health issues is to understand what your symptoms are telling you. This quick quiz will help begin to shed light on the true root of your challenges.